Thursday, December 18, 2014

How would I spend my last days with a loved one

Lawrence Dugan
Humanities 172
Professor Carreiro
10/23/1


When I Die


     Even though we broke up over twelve years ago, the person who I would choose to be with, if I knew I was going to die would be Donnetta. It was in the fall of 1998 when I met Donnetta; she was a very beautiful woman, and she is still beautiful today. She is a very kind and loving person. She loves modeling and traveling. Donnetta bought me nice things, like a shirt or a tie. Sometimes she would buy me a suit.  She loved to hug me and kiss me. She also loves to sing karaoke and dance. Donnetta loves to tell jokes and make people laugh. I remember one time she made me laugh and I couldn't stop laughing. We were in Florida at the zoo, and there was a gorilla in the cage. She called me and said, “Lawrence he got feet just like yours”. She could repair things including fixing the plumbing in the house or fixing her car.

     When I met Donnetta we would go the movies or go out dancing. We were doing things I had never done before. After dating her, I became homeless and jobless. I didn't want to be with her anymore. I was afraid to tell her about my homelessness and joblessness. When I was with her she would     always ask me what’s wrong. I didn't want her to know; I was afraid and I didn't want to lose her. Then, I prayed and got the courage to tell her. First, she asked me if I had family and I told her yes, but I didn't want to be a burden to them. After talking with me about my situation, she told me to look at her and I did. She said I could come and live with her. Going to live with her was hard to accept. I didn't have a place to stay and I didn't have a job. I felt very embarrassed, but I wanted her.

        When I began to live with her things were great. I had a place to live and food to eat. I needed a job, but didn't have money to look for a job. Donnetta gave me money every day to find employment. She knew I didn't have money. We would go out to eat at least three times a week. When I became employed I tried to give her the entire check, but she refused. She told me that I could give it to her and she would put it away. When it was time for us to go traveling she would pay greater portion of the trip. She would use some money from my paychecks. Donnetta was a very kind and loving person.   During my last day, I will go away and be with Donnetta on a soul train boat cruise. I would sing karaoke with Donnetta and dance as much as possible. I would walk along the decks and tell Donnetta how much she meant to me. And I would try to buy her something nice aboard the boat. I would give her a kiss good bye. I would close my eyes and die.

There was never a woman in my life other than my mother who treated me the way Donnetta did. I am grateful and honored to have had this woman in my life. I could never find the words, mere words couldn't begin to explain how much she meant to me. She made me feel brand new.  


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home